Are you on the lookout for ways to save money? Here are 25 tips to help you make your dollar go further....
1. Take advantage of free entertainment in your community– parks, museums, exhibits and libraries are great ways to get out and mix up the day with minimal spend.
2. Review your subscriptions and telephone/internet bills– cancel services you don’t need.
3. Resist the temptation of putting everything in the dryer– use a drying rack in the bathroom or laundry.
4. Get in the habit of turning off all lights and appliances not in use – lower that costly electricity bill.
5. Fix that leaky tap- a slow dripping tap can almost double your water bill.
6. Celebrate saving by creating a safe place for your children to keep money- a piggy bank helps kids understand the idea of saving for what they want.
7. Introduce age appropriate chores and activities for your kids to make money-washing cars, folding the clothes or helping organise a garage sale. They love to help!
8. Compare before you buy- shop online or do your research online on sites like Getprice.com.au or by reading catalogues like Letterbox Deals before you go to the shop. You can do it from the comfort of home before stepping out of the front door.
9. Make a grocery list and take your coupons/discounts from your online and catalogue research with you (kids can help organise coupons).
10. Explain that you have to pay for an item when a child asks for something in a store – it is not free (this is where the money box comes in!)
11. Before buying a car, compare insurance, petrol, maintenance, and repair costsfor comparable models - you can save thousands of dollars over the life of the car by choosing a model with low operating costs. Websites like Carsguide.com.au offer comparisons.
12. Pick up loyalty cards or join VIP clubs on offer - outlets like The Coffee Club reward your regular business.
13. Share a bulk buy from markets with neighbours and friends – take turns in doing the shopping. Saves time and money!
14. Organise an events where friends, relatives or neighbours swap clothes, toys, furniture, and pre loved items – or, there are great local community Facebook pages now like the Northern Beaches Buy, Swap and Sell in Sydney where you can list items for free with others. There are also other great sites like FindAUniform.com.au and OpenShed.com.au to buy and sell through.
15. Make your own gifts, such as homemade jams and relishes – the time poor friends will really love these.
16. Look around for cheap petrol days in your area - websites like MotorMouth.com.au have all the info you need.
17. Consider a computer based financial program- control and keep track of your spending.
18. When watering the garden, try to water in the early morning hours- minimise evaporation.
19. When buying appliances, ask the shop assistant for a discount. They usually can oblige– or if you don’t mind a small dent or scratch, Seconds World specialise in these items.
20. Batch your errands into one lot -save on petrol and parking.
21. Consolidate your debts and pay off as soon as possible – talk to your bank and work out a financial plan
22. Pay your bills on time to avoid late fees
23. Avoid ATM fees and get cash out at the supermarket through EFTPOS
24. Plan and book holidays well ahead of time
25. Avoid impulse buying - implement a 10 second “do I really need that” mental check.
There are lots of ways we can save. Share your money saving tip below...