Just as we thought spring was here, the fourth Annual Vicks Global Cold and Flu Survey reveals many families may continue to be affected by the winter lurgy. Faced with the ongoing chilly conditions, the survey estimates more than one in 10 Aussies may suffer a cold or flu this month.
A third (35%) of us remain unsure on how to best treat our family’s cold and flu symptoms, with more than a quarter (28%) relying on treatments our mother or family used when we were little. Indeed after medical professionals, our own mums remain our go-to for advice on treating cold and flu (18%).
The Vicks research also highlighted the negative effects of cold and flu on families with half (51%) saying that family outings have been impacted, and a third (33%) have had to take time off work.
Vicks, a cold and flu brand which has been used by many of our families for generations, provides some top tips on how to deal with cold and flu in your family:
Here are our top tips on how to treat cold & flu in your family:
1. Prevention is better than cure! These simple steps will help reduce the spread of cold & flu germs at home:
- Reduce the spread of cold and flu germs at home by using anti-bacterial wipes on high-touch areas such as mobile phones and remote controls
- Carry a bottle of hand sanitiser in your nappy bag or pocket for cleaner hands anytime, anywhere.
- When drying your hands, use paper hand towels to help stop the spread of germs further.
2. Boost your families’ immune system, making it more difficult for cold viruses to strike. This is especially relevant for pregnant women and new mums, who may be even more susceptible to colds and flu.
- Make sure you get a full 8 hours of sleep every night, so your body has a chance to repair and recharge. According to Vicks, over two thirds (68%) of Australians struggle to sleep with a cold, so take the time to catch up.
- Eating lots of healthy fruits and vegetables is another great way to improve your immunity.
3. If a cold or flue does strike - ake sure you have your trusted remedies on hand!
- Try mixing a bowl of warm water with Vicks VapoRub to relieve a stuffy nose, or apply directly to your chest and back before bedtime.
- For the little ones, a nice warm bath, or a massage with Vicks Baby Balsam, can help soothe and relax your baby on snuffy days.