More than 120,000 Australians exchange nuptials each year with March the most popular time for couples to get married1. As peak wedding season approaches, stand out from the crowd and ditch the clichéd venues with a truly spectacular and unforgettable destination wedding.
To help in the search, Cheapflights.com.au has compiled 10 truly unique chapels.
1. Chapel of the Holy Cross, Arizona, USA – In a remarkable display of nature and architecture coming together, this Roman Catholic chapel resembles a piece of art. Built into the red rock of Sedona, it was inspired by the Empire State Building. Flights to Arizona from $1,229 with United Airlines.
2. Church of the Good Shepherd, Fairlie, New Zealand – On the shores of Lake Tekapo and built from durable stone and oak, this church’s surroundings have been left in its pristine and natural state, making visitors feel like they’ve stepped back in time. Flights to Auckland from $313 with Jetstar.
3. Holy Trinity Chapel, Antarctica – Antarctica may not immediately spring to mind when searching for a romantic destination, but this Siberian Pine chapel is the perfect venue if you’re dreaming of a white wedding. Originally built in Russia in the 90s, it is manned by volunteer priests year-round. Flights to Ushuaia from $3,211 with Aerolineas, before a ship voyage to Antarctica.
4. Thorncrown Chapel, Arkansas, USA – Created by a retired school teacher, this awe-inspiring glass chapel boasts 425 windows to showcase the lush Eureka Springs forest outside, allowing guests to get in touch with their spirituality and feel at one with the wildlife. Flights to Arkansas from $1,512 with Delta Air Lines.
5. All Saints Chapel, Hamilton Island, Australia – In our own backyard, this idyllic chapel is nestled amongst the lush gardens overlooking Catseye Bay. For tropical weddings, it doesn’t get much better than this! Flights to Hamilton Island from $340 with Jetstar.
6. Chapel in Valleacerón, Almadén, Spain – Like an abandoned UFO, this astonishing and angular building contrasts dramatically with the rural landscape on which it sits. There’s a remarkable curiosity about it, which was designed to mimic the lines of a ‘box fold’. Flights to Barajas from $1,098 with Qatar Airways.
7. The Yosemite Valley Chapel, Yosemite Valley, USA – Surrounded by magnificent cliffs, meadows and Yosemite Falls, this building is the oldest man-made structure in the heart of Yosemite National Park. With a quaint, New England-style design and gorgeous natural setting, it is incredibly scenic. Flights to California from $922 with Delta Air Lines.
8. Chapel on The Rock, Colorado, USA – Despite recent setbacks—including fire and flood—this extraordinary chapel that sits atop a massive granite rock near Rocky Mountain National Park continues to act as a sacred place of worship for locals and visitors alike (including Pope John Paul II in 1993). Flights to Colorado from $1,289 with Delta Air Lines.
9. St. Nicholas Chapel, Georgioupolis, Crete – Located about 100 metres out into the Sea of Crete, this Mediterranean chapel was originally built as a guardian for sailors and fishermen. The whitewashed building against the sparkling azure sea showcases Greek architecture at its best and is the perfect setting for a romantic holiday union. Flights to Georgioupolis from $1,625 with Emirates and Aegean Airlines.
10. Chapel of St. Michael’s Church, Hallstatt, Austria – A little bit eerie and whole lot fascinating, the aptly-named, “Bone House” (Beinhaus) in the chapel of St. Michael’s Church is a must-see for quirky couples look to have a memorable wedding. While there is a display of over 1,200 decorated skulls, visitors will also be faced with picturesque rolling views of the mountains, lake and town below. Flights to Salzburg from $1,561 with Cathay Pacific Airways and Austrian Airlines.
1 2016, McCrindle, Happy Valentine’s Day from McCrindle: http://mccrindle.com.au/the-mccrindle-blog/happy-valentine-s-day-from-mccrindle
ABOUT THE EXPERT
Cheapflights is a leading global flight comparison and deals publishing platform dedicated to taking the complexity out of finding the best value flights through the application of innovative, intuitive technologies: Smart search. Made simple. It is now a market leader in the UK, US, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.