Kerryn Boogaard Kerryn Boogaard
Beverly Goldsmith Beverly Goldsmith
Zoe Bingley-Pullin Zoe Bingley-Pullin

Button Battery Injuries Spark Campaign:

CHOICE Calls For Mandatory Safety Standards Around the Sale of Button Batteries
By Media Release
Date: June 03 2016
Editor Rating:

CHOICE, together with The Parenthood and Kidsafe QLD, are calling on the Federal Government to implement stricter safety standards on the sale of products that contain button batteries. The reason behind the call is due to the death of two young girls from button battery related injuries and an estimated of 20 hospitalisation each week nationwide after children swaller ow insert button batteries.[1]

"Button batteries are powerful, slim and light but they can also be lethal. It vital that the Federal Government acts to reduce the number of children ending up in emergency departments across the country having swallowed a button battery," says CHOICE Head of Media Tom Godfrey.
 
"We are calling on the Federal Government to tighten the law around the sale of button batteries to ensure they are screwed in place and sold in child resistant packaging in a bid to arrest the alarming number of hospitalisations. At the moment only toys designed for children under three years of age are required by law to have secure battery compartments,[2] which means that other everyday household items have no mandatory safety standards. A quick scan of your home will find poorly secured button batteries in everything from bathroom scales and calculators to remote controls, musical greeting cards, games and toys," Mr Godfrey says.

Button batteries, if not handled properly, can cause chemical burns when ingested. Further, when stuck in body tissue, this can be fatal even when a consumer believes the battery to be flat.

"One of the problems with these batteries is that they can be swallowed easily without getting stuck or causing the child to cough, so unless someone sees it happen, parents or carers will be none the wiser. The symptoms are also varied, ranging from feeling slightly ill to having a mild cough. To make matters worse, children are often reluctant to tell anyone if they’ve swallowed something they weren’t supposed to. With button batteries being used in a growing number of products, it’s time to make products with button batteries child resistant,” Mr Godfrey explained.

Safety tips:

  • Prevent any injuries by keeping all disc battery operated devices out of sight and out of reach of children.
  • Ensure that the battery compartment of devices using disc batteries are secure.
  • Dispose used button batteries immediately.
  • Immediately call the Poisons Information Centre at 13 11 26 or bring your child to the emergency room if you suspect that he/she swallowed a button battery. Do not let your child eat or drink, nor should you induce vomiting.
  • Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries, and how to keep their children safe.

For more on CHOICE’s button batteries campaign, please visit: choice.com.au/buttonbatteries

[1] http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/batterycontrolled
[2] https://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/974860

Share This Tweet This Email To Friend
Recent Comments
2 Total Comments
Gmod free says: 2018 04 18
Rating:

I clearly cherished studying your weblog. It became very well authored and smooth to understand. in contrast to other blogs i have examine which are in truth not that proper.thank you alot! Gmod free

www.arinoshoes.com says: 2018 05 14
Rating:

Creating a blog can appear difficult for many people, even though for some individuals it’s an simple process. Nevertheless, a very important factor that everybody shares in common is that they are searching for ways to improve their blog and attain incre.www.arinoshoes.com

View All Comments
Post a Comment
* your email address will not appear

Please enter the word you see in the image below:


Post a Comment
* your email address will not appear

Please enter the word you see in the image below:33343


Your Comment has been posted
Related Articles
Unnamed
Consumers Are Warned of the Potential Dangers of Mermaid Tails
Read more
cot-safety
Check your baby's sleeping environment to make sure it's as…
Read more
poolgates
Safety campaign aimed at reducing toddler drowning in backyard pools…
Read more
Shipping-containers-freight-wallpaper-preview

Latest Tech Used In Shipping Containers
Read how the shipping industry has revolutionised

Motherpedia cover-2

Win 1 set of a 4-book hardcover illustrated boxed set
Barbara Murray’s new 4-book Sound Stories is perfect for parents and educators and could assist with NAPLAN results

Motherpedia cover (4)

Where to celebrate Oktoberfest Australia
Get ready for this celebration!

Vtech giveaway motherpedia

Win 1 of 3 VTech Toys Pack Giveaway
Playtime is so much more with VTech

Motherpedia cover-4

A Fortnight of Foodie Experiences at East Village
A taste of East Village. What's in it for me?

Globber my too fix up cover

We Try: Globber My TOO Fix Up
A scooter that grows with your child

Throw a winning cricket pitch

3 Steps to a Winning Backyard Cricket Pitch
Ex-Adelaide Oval legend curator Les Burdett shares his tips for getting your backyard cricket pitch test match ready this summer

A bike that follows your kids life cycle - motherpedia - cover

A Bike That Follows Your Kids Life Cycle
Check out the Bunzi 2-in-1 gradual balance bike!

Moonlight lifestyle

Moonlight Cinema to bring…
Moonlight Cinema announces brand new Western Sydney venue

Screen shot 2019-11-26 at 8.29.12 am

Your Magical Christmas Wonderland…
Adventure park is about to light up the night sky with its "Christmas Festival of Lights"

Screen shot 2019-11-21 at 11.11.36 am

The Preston Market Gets…
It's time to feel pumped up for the holiday season!

Bruno-kelzer-zqzuigxcvrq-unsplash

Bunnings team members get…
Help raise funds by buying a snag or donating at your local store.