You hope you don’t have to use it, but having a well-stocked first aid kit in the home and in the car is essential.
Both kits should have child-friendly antiseptic cream for the kids as most regular brands may be too strong on little skin. It’s also good to have some “character” and waterproof Band-Aids as they’re great distraction therapy and will have the child focusing on something other than the injury.
In the kits, make sure you have a list of any allergies your family has, as well as contact details of key family members. If possible laminate the sheet so it’s reasonably waterproof.
Nappy bags are must in first aid kits, for any rubbish removal and for when people are feeling like they may throw-up.
If you or the person you’re treating are burnt, instantly cool the burn with gently flowing cold water for up to 20 minutes – o4 if it’s a child, for as long as is possible. If in doubt (especially if the burn is large) call an ambulance ‘000’ or 112 on a mobile phone – this is the international emergency number, and often works in places where there is limited reception.
More importantly DO NOT put lotions, powders, butter, ice, garlic, toothpaste, hummus or egg whites on a burn! Yes we’ve heard of many things being placed on burns – the only thing you should do before ringing for an ambulance is to cool the burn.
Finally, it’s never too early to teach the kids how to ring “000” – start from an early age and have them recite their address too, many children can be very helpful in time of need.
Here’s what I include in my First Aid Kit.
- 50 x bandaids
- 1 x Antiseptic spray 55ml
- 4 x Antiseptic wipes (1 with CPR KIT)
- 1 x Bandage shears, 19cm stainless steel(15cm Handy)
- 6 x Sterile cotton gauze swabs, 2 x packs of 3 7.5cm x 7.5cm
- 1 x CPR Card
- 1 x Emergency blanket, 2.1m x 1.6cm in zip lock bag
- 2 x Eye pads, sterile
- 1 x Fever scan strip
- 1 x First Aid Booklet
- 5 x Hydro gel, 3.5ml sachets
- 1 x Hypo allergenic adhesive tape 25mm
- 2 x Nitrile gloves large (1 pair with CPR mask)
- 3 x Non-adherent wound dressing, sterile, 5cm x 5cm
- 1 x Non-adherent wound dressing, sterile, 7.5cm x 10cm
- 3 x Plastic bags (3 sizes)
- 1 x Pressure bandage, heavy weight, 10cm x 1.8m unstretched
- 1 x Smart bandage, 2m x 10cm, Pressure Bandage
- 1 x Resuscitation face mask, disposable, incl 1 pair gloves & antiseptic wipe (in CPR KIT)
- 6 x Safety pins, 4 large, 2 small
- 4 x Saline, 15ml
- 5 x Splinter probes, individual, comes in 1 pack of 5
- 1 x Triangular bandage, 96cm x 96cm x 136cm
- 1 x Tweezers, rust resistant with tip guard, stainless steel (small)
- 3 x Wound closures, individual, comes in 1 pack of 3
- 1 x Wound dressings, No 14 medium, sterile
- 1 x Instant ice pack 160mm x 90mm
* * *
You can purchase a First Aid for You kit here.