At the start of a New Year everyone is abuzz with high hopes for a better life ahead. There’s a feeling that the past is done-and-dusted and it’s time to look forward to new opportunities. There’s great hope for stronger family ties, friendships, better health, as well as happier days. Such hopeful “looking forward” is beneficial, and it’s good for your health.
Many of us stand ready to farewell the old year and eager to embrace a fresh start – a new beginning. There’s excitement in the air as we anticipate what might come along in the weeks ahead. Yet as each day of a New Year rolls on, such joyous expectancy often begins to diminish. The glow of happy prospects can seem short-lived. They may even appear to evaporate entirely in the routine of everyday living.
KEEP LOOKING FORWARD
Despite thoughts to the contrary, you can hold on to that pleasurable “look forward” expectancy. Indeed, there’s no need to lose that New Year sparkle. It’s possible to keep it all year long. How? In looking forward to a better life of health and happiness, a wonderfully wise woman gave this helpful advice. She explained that she “finds the path less difficult when she has the high goal always before her thoughts, than when she counts her footsteps in endeavouring to reach it.” - Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health p. 426
- Even though life may be challenging, keep thought focused on achieving health and happiness. Don’t let this goal fade from sight.
- Drop old ways of negative thinking. Make way for fresh, inspiring ,new ideas. In this way “Old things are passed away; behold all things are become new.” The Bible, II Corinthians Chapter 5:17
- Keep mentally looking ahead. Don’t look back on past hurts and disappointments. Leave last year’s baggage behind!
- Be continually pleased that each day can bring evidence of warmth and caring - a welcoming smile, an unexpected kind gesture, a friendly greeting. Such goodness is everywhere.
- Give a little joy, get a little joy. Remember that each hour brings fresh opportunity for joyfulness.
- Breathe a silent blessing on everyone you pass. Your small gift of love will lift your heart and theirs.
- Develop an attitude of gratitude. Give thanks for the good that’s right at hand, and what is yet to come.
- Every morning, wake to a brand new day! Look forward to a better life. Take the next step to achieving something bigger and better than your current situation. It’s good for your health!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR