Having three young boys and working with kids every day, I know exactly how parents feel when they’re sourcing a product or service for their little ones.
Reputation is everything and word of mouth is what we trust in to ensure that we’re getting a valuable and safe deal.
With the internet at our fingertips, more of us are turning online to source feedback from peers. Having had experience with online reviews, I have outlined my top tips below that will help you secure a reputable childcare service.
1. Look further than the star rating – A business that has 5 stars may be excellent for one customer as it fits directly with their needs, this doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for you. If you have a two year old who is still shy around others your expectations may be different to that of a reviewer whose child loves playing outdoors with large groups of children.
2. Consider the response to negative reviews– At times there can be customers who are disgruntled by a service. Their attitude may have since changed. If you see one or two negatives among a sea of positives have a click through to see how the service provider responded to this reviewer. Did they seem apologetic and provide a refund or promise to do better? Maybe they went out their way to do something special to make it up to this customer.
3. Create a shortlist– There may be many child services that have brilliant ratings. My advice is to take your top five and compare by location, cost and facilities available. If you’re still stuck then take your research one step further. Call the service provider and tell them exactly what you’re looking for and ask how they can meet you and your child’s needs.
4. Make sure the reviews are legit– Use a trusted review website such as WOMO.com.au to source feedback from your peers. These websites have detailed standards and monitoring systems in place to ensure there are no false reviewers on there. They also work closely with standard’s bodies like the ACCC.
5. Look out for awards– In addition to positive reviews some businesses are also awarded for overall excellence from review websites. These businesses have been known for their consistent good reputation and have an impressive customer service and value.
Sue Cutbill is founder of Kid’s Exercise, providing active entertainment for kids in the form of parties, vacation care and pre-school sport programs. Sue knows the importance of reputation within her industry and has built her business profile through strong feedback on Australia’s most popular review website, WOMO.com.au. Providing parents with sound advice, Sue has outlined her top tips for parents who are sourcing online reviews in regards to childcare services.