Calypso mangoes are the "daughter" of a Kensington Pride and a Sensation mango, combining only the best part of these varieties to make #theperfectmango. Calypso mangoes are known for their vibrant colour and a greater amount of flesh - meaning more mango and less seed!
What you’ll need:
- 2-3 Calypso® Mangoes
- 6 egg whites
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornflour, sifted in to a small bowl
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
- 300ml thickened cream
- 100g white chocolate, shaved
How to make it:
1. To make the meringue base, preheat the oven to no more than 100°C.
2. Beat the egg whites with the pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks.
3. Add the caster sugar gradually and beat until the mix is shiny. Add the sugar in 2 equal amounts, whisking to combine inbetween each addition.
4. Fold in the sifted cornflour using a cold metal spoon.
5. Add the vinegar and vanilla essence and fold through gently but thoroughly.
6. Cut a 25cm diameter circle of non-stick baking paper and place onto a greased baking tray.
7. Pour the meringue mix onto the circle shape and cook in the oven for 1¾ hours until the meringue feels firm.
8. Turn the oven off, leave the door slightly ajar and leave the meringue to cool in the oven.
9. Once cool, carefully peel away the paper circle and place the pavlova base onto a clean serving plate.
10. Puree the flesh from one of the Calypso® mangoes with the orange liqueur (optional) until smooth.
11. Whip the thickened cream until firm peaks form. Fold half of the Calypso® puree through the cream.
12. Peel and slice the remaining Calypso® mango.
13. Top the pavlova with the Calypso® cream mixture, then the remaining Calypso® puree and then decorate with the remaining mango slices.
14. For that wonderful finishing touch, dust the top with shavings of white chocolate.