Another delicious crowd-pleaser from Maggie Beer, these can be served as a side dish with a roast meat or served as starters.
TIp: Maggie prefers baby red onions about golf ball size, but if you can't find them, use small red onions instead.
6 baby red onions (see note above)
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons Maggie Beer Vino Cotto
1/3 cup goats cheese
1/3 cup coarse toasted breadcrumbs
½ packed cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
salt flakes to taste
1/3 cup Maggie Beer Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C.
2. Cut a small amount off the base of the onions so they sit upright. Leaving the skins on, cut half a centimetre off the top of the onions.
3. Place the onions into a high-sided saucepan so the onions fit snuggly. Add the water and Vino Cotto. Place a lid onto the top of the pan and put into the pre-heated oven.
4. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes until the onions are soft through. Remove from oven.
5. Turn the oven UP to 220C.
6. Turn the onions over then place them back into the oven to caramelise for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven. Flip the onions back over and remove from the pan.
8. Using a fork, remove a small amount of the centre of the onions and divide the soft goats cheese into the centre of each onion. Place the stuffed onions onto a serving platter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs, parsley, season with sea salt. Drizzle with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to serve.