Andrea Egan, from online retailer Button Baby, has 10 tips for selecting a memorable gift for her occasion:
1. Parents often receive a large number of gifts that are suitable for the “now’’ and so often appreciate later the gift that was aimed at the one-year-old child. A child’s rocking chair, bathroom step or jigsaw will be with the child for longer.
2. If selecting a baby shower gift, stick to neutral colours and themes to avoid buying a female gift for a boy and vice versa.
3. If you want something personalised, consider towel sets or wall canvas with the child’s name on it.
4. Baby shower are the ideal time to give gifts that will help the mum-to-be set up her nursery, such as a cot quilt or a gorgeous blanket. However, make sure you know her taste and style in decor.
5. A bub’s arrival marks the point where practical gifts are particularly welcome. Whether it’s a muslin wrap or sleeping bag. Accompany one of those with a frozen home cooked meal or two and any new mum and dad will be grateful. If you’re a parent, think about the gifts that were most useful to you.
6. Gift boxes, photo frames and any keepsake items are generally the theme for Christenings but you can only have so many. A gorgeous doll or soft toy, mother goose blocks or a rocking chair make beautiful gifts and can be kept as an heirloom as well.
7. Some parents have a strong sense of taste when it comes to designing a nursery for their baby. It’s best to make sure you’re confident you know their taste in decor, otherwise it’s best to steer clear. Useful nursery items include nappy caddy’s, change mat covers and cot quilts that can also be used as throws. Set a budget on how much you want to spend and try to stick to it. Online shopping is particularly ideal for this, as you can see how much you’re spending before making the purchase.
8. If you find yourself particularly racked for what to buy, consider a gift voucher. This way the parents can get exactly what they need and want.
9. Consider if this is the first baby shower or first child and what the parents may have already accrued from having previous children.
10. Buying gifts for a new mum, dad and their bub should be fun. This is your chance to help mark what is a particularly special time in a new parent’s life.
What is the best gift you’ve been given for a baby shower, baby’s arrival or Christening?