Mothers! Everybody has one. And Mother's Day is as good a time as any to remember a mother's nurturing and caring by visiting her, or giving a gift or flowers. Here are the good reasons to celebrate mothering on this special day - it's good for your health!
Mothering qualities needed
In a world where violence seems widespread and a lack of humanity is often evident, who doesn’t need the calmness of mothering qualities to be expressed in their family or community?
Society needs individuals who speak gently, who are tender yet strong, and kind as well as considerate. Harsh words or actions inevitably engender bitterness. They never produce happiness, nor remove fear or sorrow.
- Don’t let frustration or resentment threaten the qualities of heartfelt-mothering.
- Take charge of what you say to others. “Speak gently, it is better far to rule by love than fear; Speak gently, let no harsh word mar the good we may do here.” - David Bates.
- Soften hard thinking and words. 'Mother' others through words of comfort and encouragement.
- Be guided by my mother’s favourite rulefrom Walt Disney’s film - Bambi. “If you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all”.
Give the gift of mother-love
When living far away from home for the first time, I became deeply homesick for my mother’s love and company. One sunny afternoon while walking along a beach, it dawned on me that I wasn’t separated from a sense of mother-love. Right there and then, I was cared for and loved. That moment of inspiration freed me of loneliness and homesickness. In the following months various women took me under their wings and 'mothered' me.
- Be ready to “mother” someone who is cut off from affectionate family caring.
- Give to others the gift of true mother-love that never neglects the health or well-being of a loved son or daughter.
- Enact the beautiful imagery from the Bible of the mother eagle who stirs up her nest, flutters over her young, spreads abroad her wings, takes them, bears them on her wings.
- Remember that everyone is cared for by a higher Mother-Love that dries tears, comforts us in times of trouble, restores lost hope and confidence and is constantly present to help and cheer us.