It's nice to spoil mum on Mother's Day so this recipe is for you to leave lying around the house so others get the hint for Sunday - or for you to make to take to a special woman in your life to say 'thank you'.
The best thing about it is it's healthy, it's easy to make and it's filling - but it takes less than 20 minutes from go-to-woe. Whoever you're making it for is sure to be impressed!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion finely chopped
4 large eggs
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
approx. 80-100g sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
¼ cup goat cheese
¼ cup basil, cut into long thin strips
1. Preheat a griller or the grill mechanism in your oven to approximately 220 degrees. Use a well-seasoned skillet or a non-stick skillet, with a heatproof handle.
2. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat, and add the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Separately whisk together 4 large eggs and 2 egg whites, and season with the pepper.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the onions, patting down any lumps with a wooden spoon. Scatter the sun-dried tomatoes evenly over the pan surface.
5. Scatter the goat cheese over the top of the frittata, then place the skillet under the griller for around 90 seconds to 2 minutes. You want the frittata to rise slightly and become light and settled.
6. Remove from the grill/oven and top with the basil.
7. To remove the frittata from the iron skillet, place a large plate over the top of the pan, invert the frittata onto the plate, and cut it into wedges. With a nonstick skillet, slide the frittata onto a serving plate, then cut into wedges.