A leading online retailer of more than 200 brands of lingerie, sleepwear, swimwear and activewear has launched a new online ‘Fitting Room’.
The aim is to help women everywhere find the perfect bra.
The Fitting Room debuts today as a special section on the Figleaves.com website. The virtual room includes a special, interactive bra calculator to give insight into the areas that can be improved with fit, along with helpful hints and tips on what to look for when shopping for bras.
"A properly fitting bra can be life-changing," said Irene Dmyterko, Technical Manager at Figleaves.com. "It slims the silhouette, improves posture, and – most importantly – can give women increased confidence."
Highlights of the Fitting Room include:
- Bra size calculator – an interactive guide to see if a woman should go up or down in bra sizing
- Two videos – one illustrating how to properly put on a bra and the other showing what the "perfect" bra fit looks like
- A list of common bra fit problems
- A look into the history of bra fitting
- "The Bra Deconstructed" – a guide to the various parts and components of a bra, and
- Bra care guides – instructions on how to properly wash and care for bras.
According to Figleaves.com, the new online Fitting Room is necessary as the traditional "tape measure" bra sizing system was developed more than 70 years ago. Since then body shapes and sizes - as well as technology in lingerie - have changed a great deal. The classic bra size fit system has flaws, including:
- the tape measure system was only designed for cup sizes A-D, when bras are now available up to a K cup and beyond
- the system relies on wearing a bra while being measured, which is skewed if a woman has an improper fit to begin with, and
- the tape measure system ignores the shape of the ribcage and the proportions of the shoulders to the waist.
During extensive fit research, Figleaves.com learned that the most common problems were women wearing too large of a band and too small of a cup, thus not supporting and lifting the bust properly. The company found that, on average, women using the new Figleaves.com bra calculator went down one back size and up three cup sizes.
"Often women underestimate their cup size and overestimate their band size simply because they've been improperly fitted in the past, or their body shape has changed and they haven’t been refitted. A bra in a 12 or 14C is more readily available at a brick-and-mortar retailer where stock is limited," said Dmyterko.
"But we solve that problem – not only by revamping the way that bra fit is done – but also by offering the largest selection of designers and the most extensive range of lingerie sizes.
"Our new Fitting Room has a wealth of information for women in a very clear and user-friendly format," says Dmyterko. "This online guidance is helpful, as it allows women to discover their real size and proper bra fit in the privacy of their own home."
Amongst the many brands on Figleaves.com are Chantelle, Curvy Kate, Elle Macpherson Intimates, Freya, Lejaby, Miraclesuit, Stella McCartney, Vix Swimwear, and Yummie Tummie, as well as exclusive private label collections such as Just Peachy, Midnight Grace and FGL.