There is no doubt that being a mother is a very tiring and demanding experience.
Not only will it take up a lot of your time, but it will also take up a lot of your energy.
Being a mother is a very selfless act as you surrender many preferences for the well being of your child. This often leaves mothers frustrated, tired, cranky, and in some cases anxious or depressed. So how can you maintain balance so that you are able to still feel calm, energised, loving and happy?
Here are some simple tips to help you stay healthy, happy and connected to the ‘feminine goddess’ within.
1. Eat well: Often mothers tend to just 'get by' when it comes to eating. They will eat leftover kids food or throw something in the microwave due to lack of time. You’ve heard it before - "You are what you eat". It doesn’t take long to eat well. The key to this is to be prepared.
2. Green smoothies. Whether you live in a house or a unit, growing kale, spinach, parsley, mint and basil are easy and accessible. Simply chop off a few leaves each day, put them in a good quality blender (I recommend Vitamix) with a couple of cups of water. For flavour add cucumbers, pineapple, apple, lime and within minutes you have one of the most potent and rejuvenating meals full of amino acids, minerals and nutrients.
3. Stretch. If it’s tummy time for your newborn, then why don’t you hit the floor also? Stretching helps unblock the energy points in your body, increases blood flow and repairs the body. In each stretch, focus on the breath and calm the mind. Be sure to stretch every day, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
4. Read nourishing content. Everything that you read leaves an imprint in your body. In those very brief moments that you do get to read, be aware of the content or vibration of the material that you are reading. Instead of picking up a trashy gossip magazine or newspaper that rehashes the problems of the world, check out the useful tips, advice and information here on Motherpedia or have a handful of books on standby that will elevate your mood. (A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle, Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman, Anatomy of the Spirit - Carolyn Myss to name a few)
5. Switch the tracksuit for a dress every now and then. As a mother, it’s easy to lose your identity and feel like you are a machine. Feeding, cleaning, driving, it seems you are just there to do a job and your feminine goddess within fades into oblivion. Whether it’s a lunch, a dinner, or a movie, create a reason each week to restore that connection to the woman inside.
6. Spend time in nature. Not only will this benefit you, but also your child. Whether it's beach, a park, by a river or in the forest, each week restore balance by spending time in Nature.
7. Stillness Sessions. Its been scientifically documented that 20 minutes of Stillness Sessions is equivalent to 4 hours of sleep. It’s a potent way to recharge and boost your energy. Not only that, but it triggers the production of serotonin and oxytocin which helps you feel happier and more love.
* * *
Check out Tom's One Life Retreats.