This is Maggie Beer’s adoption of a dish she first tasted in the 1980s at Miss Augustine’s, created by Anne Oliver.
It’s the perfect quick and easy summer recipe after a day at the beach or out exploring.
500g tagliatelle pasta
6 tablespoons almond flakes
2 large avocado, chopped
2 tablespoons Verjuice
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoons ginger, very finely chopped
Salt flakes to taste
½ cup coriander leaves
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano shaved
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 220C.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Pasta can be cooked beforehand and warmed up in the microwave if necessary.
3. Place almonds on a flat tray and roast them. Remove from the oven when ready (approximately 5 minutes) and drizzle with Verjuice.
4. Into a separate large bowl, place the warmed pasta with the EVOO and minced ginger and toss through. Add some sea salt and ¾ of the roasted almonds. Toss.
5. Add the coriander and the rest of the roasted almonds and toss. Finally add the avocado.
6. Serve with some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste, a squeeze of lemon juice and the shaved Parmigiano to finish.
Maggie’s tip: Watch the almonds! They will be ready quicker than you think!