Eating breakfast is an important way to start the day, especially for children. It fuels your brain and can help you stay focused, energised, and healthy. You may not have time every morning to make pancakes but a weekend morning is a good time, and it helps make a weekend treat.
Whole wheat flour adds a nutty flavour and texture to these great-tasting, healthy pancakes. The inclusion of yoghurt gives them moistness and the lemon zest a bit of zing. Dish these up with berries and a glass of milk, or tea or coffee for you, on the side for a wholesome start to the day.
Makes approximately 14 pancakes. Each serve should be between one and three pancakes.
1½ whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 container vanilla low-fat Greek yoghurt (approximately 170g)
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 punnets sliced fresh strawberries
1 container strawberry low-fat Greek yoghurt (approximately 170g)
1. Heat fry pan or skillet over medium heat. Grease with olive oil if necessary.
2. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In medium bowl, beat eggs, vanilla yoghurt, lemon zest, water and oil with egg-beater or wire whisk until well blended.
4. Pour egg mixture all at once into flour mixture; stir until moistened.
5. For each pancake, pour slightly less than ¼ cup batter from cup into the pan. Cook pancakes 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbly on top, puffed and dry around the edges. Turn; cook other sides 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Top each serving (2 pancakes) with sliced strawberries and 1 to 2 tablespoons strawberry yoghurt. We would use many more strawberries than in this picture!