Being healthy is a lifestyle that involves eating well, working out, and getting eight hours of shut-eye. Ideally.
The truth is the 'ideal' doesn't work for all of us with busy lives, children, jobs and so much else to do.
But what's also true? There are many things that make a serious difference to how good you feel that take just two minutes.
So even if you're one of those people who never get to leave your desk, here are 10 two-minute tricks that can seriously boost how well you feel.
1. Spice up your water. Take a tip from the spa and add a little something extra to your water to help relax and alkalise your water. Throw in some fresh raspberries, lime slices, cucumber or spearmint leaves into your water jug or bottle.
2. Do planks. Before getting into the shower every morning, spend two minutes doing planks. Hold a straight plank for one minute followed by 30-second planks on each side. A strong core is the foundation of a fit, health body and this is the number one move.
3. Dry brush. Two minutes of dry brushing your skin before a shower increases circulation, stimulates the lymphatic system (which moves toxins out of the body), makes your skin glow, and even helps tone. Start with your feet, and brushing your skin in a light, circular motion, upwards along the body, and then hop in the shower.
4. Look at your plate before diving in. Visually take in your food before you tuck in. This practice of just a few seconds helps you savour your meal and slows down your eating. You will feel as if you’ve eaten more than you have.
5. Meditation. Acid reflux, headaches, and even a shorter life expectancy have been linked to stress. And just two minutes of watching your breath or trying an easy medication practice helps. At a deeper level, it leads to a happier, healthier, and more successful life.
6. Add turmeric to your cooking. This might sound like an odd one, but turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidant – which means it helps fight certain types of cancers, arthritis, psoriasis and Alzheimer’s Disease. Studies show it helps reduce the damage done by enjoying high-fat meals.
7. Neck and shoulder release. Have you tried a tennis ball massage? It helps prevent adhesions and pain in the neck and shoulders where most people have it. Want to try it? Lie on your back, knees up table-top style, and place two tennis balls side-by-side at the top of your shoulder blades. Lift your arms to the ceiling, then move them slowly toward the knees, then toward the wall behind you.
8. Eat avocados for great skin. Avocado’s are a rich source of good fats which help keep you hydrated inside and out.
9. Hang from a stall bar. OK, this might not be for everyone but if you’re a regular gym-goer try it. Two minutes hanging from a gym stall bar can help reduce lower back pain and yield better posture.
10. Floss. Take two minutes to floss and you will help a lot more than your teeth. Dental health is fundamental to good overall health – plus it also helps freshen your breath.