Weekend Recipe: Henley’s Chicken Sandwiches:
Try these healthy and crazy delicious sandwiches for lunch!
Date: August 06 2016
Preparation time: 35 minutes (plus overnight chilling of coconut milk and cooling chicken)
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Makes 24 cocktail sandwiches
1 whole chicken
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary
Henley’s “sour cream”
165ml can coconut milk
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup slivered almonds, roasted and roughly chopped
Sea salt and ground black pepper
12 slices Helga’s Gluten Free Wholemeal bread
1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
Torn parsley leaves
1. Place can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight to chill.
2. Place chicken, peppercorns, celery, onion, carrot, bay leaves and rosemary in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
3. Remove chicken and set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
4. Remove chicken from bones and skin, then shred meat with 2 forks.
5. Carefully turn the can of chilled coconut milk upside down, then use a can opener to remove the bottom of the can. Drain off the liquid and scrape the thick coconut cream into a bowl. You should have about 1/3 cup coconut cream.
6. Add the lemon juice, vinegar and sea salt. Stir until smooth.
7. Combine 2 cups chicken, Henley’s “sour cream”, parsley, spring onions and slivered almonds into large bowl, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Evenly spread filling over 6 of the bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices and press down gently. Cut each sandwich into 4 squares. Top each square with a slice of cucumber and garnish with parsley.
Helga’s Gluten Free Wholemeal is available now at Coles and selected independent supermarkets. RRP: $6.49